In October of 1903, ground was broken for the convent building now known as “Ottilia Hall.”
The new structure had multiple functions. It served as convent space for the Sisters, replacing the original overcrowded frame house next to Sacred Heart Church which was their first home in Cullman. It also contained classrooms, music practice rooms, and boarding space for students.
The Sisters moved into the new building on September 14, 1904, the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. For students, 1904-05 marked the first academic year of the newly founded Sacred Heart Academy.